06 January, 2011

Do you want a martyr?

Day 3 - Your thoughts on religion.

Ahh, yes... religion... the mixed emotions I feel for you...

It's no secret that I do not believe in "God." Well, as far as there being some sort of mystical being, a white-haired man of all men, living somewhere in the universe... no I do not believe in that. Could there be some sort of "higher power" controlling us all, sure, I guess, but my major opinions on a "higher power" have to do with science, energy, and a little bit of quantum theory.

When I hear the word "religion," honestly, my first reaction is anger. Ignorance, intolerance, hatred and violence have all stemmed from this word. All the religious crazies have completely killed it for me. The overzealous reverends who come on TV to tell you that "God hates Fags" and all sorts of other intolerant nonsense should be enough to turn anyone away from organized religion. We should be preaching tolerance and acceptance instead.

I feel like if there is a "God" he is being severely misrepresented.

The wars that have been started because of the clash of faiths, the stigma that women are lessor creatures, this ALL COMES from religion. Some of the things that were written in the bible are completely enraging and insane. I can't bring myself to follow that. I can't associate myself with some of the teachings. It makes me crazy.

However, there is one religion that, so far, I can somewhat agree with, and that is Buddhism. I studied it very, very briefly 3 or 4 years ago now, and it's basically psychology. From what I understand, they don't technically have a God. Siddhartha was a man who achieved enlightenment so he became the Buddha, but he is not a God. Do I believe that Siddhartha achieved enlightenment the way it says in the book... no, but having a peaceful mind... learning how to appreciate everything around you... and learning how to take everyday stress and turn that into something positive... That's a fantastic thing to be teaching. And that's something I can get into.

I have friends who do believe in God, and I respect their decision. I actually like to talk about religion with them. I like learning more about the good aspects of it and clarifying all the questions I have. I know for some religion was beneficial. My uncle "found God" which helped motivate him to lead a better life, and you know what, that's fine. As long as you accept people for who they are and let them lead the lives they want to lead, that's fine. But the religious people who push everything on you, the people who stand outside of places and hold signs about "the rapture," the reverends who make TV appearances to tell people who to hate... they ruin it for everyone else.

Respect people, respect is all you need. Respect and happiness is all a religion should be teaching.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend, an intelligent lapsed Jew who observes the Sabbath for reasons of cultural solidarity, describes himself as a Tooth Fairy Agnostic. He will not call himself an atheist because it is in principle impossible to prove a negative. But "agnostic" on its own might suggest that he though God's existence or non-existence equally likely. In fact, though strictly agnostic about God, he considers God's existence no more probable than the Tooth Fairy's.
Bertrand Russell used a hypothetical teapot in orbit about Mars for the same didactic purpose. You have to be agnostic about the teapot, but that doesn't mean you treat the likelihood of its existence as being on all fours with its non-existence.
The list of things about which we strictly have to be agnostic doesn't stop at tooth fairies and celestial teapots. It is infinite. If you want to believe in a particular one of them -- teapots, unicorns, or tooth fairies, Thor or Yahweh -- the onus is on you to say why you believe in it. The onus is not on the rest of us to say why we do not. We who are atheists are also a-fairyists, a-teapotists, and a-unicornists, but we don't have to bother saying so.

Samantha said...

I love this comment. Extremely thoughtful, whoever you are :) Thank you for leaving it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Samantha. To take it one step further. What about becoming a-statist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me2wQAQCip8