13 June, 2012

The Depression Monster

Like an unwanted friend, it lingers. It clings to every inch of your body, weighing you down like a lead blanket until you're nothing but a pile of useless. You wait for it to leave, but it constantly overstays its welcome and you start to wonder if it will ever leave you alone. So the only thing left is to fight it off, to wage a battle of the mind until finally the horrible weight is lifted. Though you know, deep down, that it will return soon enough.

So if you've been wondering where I've been, or why I've been so distant, or why I seem so... apathetic, it's because I've been here, shrouded in my veil of lead, feeling guilty and frustrated that I've been trapped beneath the weight for so long, and for seemingly no reason.

After my last post, I had quickly come to the conclusion that this new job is pretty terrible. And with that realization the depression really seemed to start settling in. Then, when going back to school was not a plausible possibility, things started spiraling from there.

I felt guilty and stupid for falling in as deep as I did. The depression became so bad that the sheer thought of being in public gave me panic attacks. My daily routine consisted of going to work, coming home, sitting on my couch with my dog, and watching TV until it was time to go to sleep. I drifted from a good majority of my friends, skipped out on parties and group outings, and the one time I tried to drag myself out of the house to go ice skating with a group of my boyfriend's acquaintances I had such huge a meltdown we immediately left and I spent the entire ride home crying uncontrollably.

That instance only added to the frustration of feeling so out of control of my own emotions, and since December I have tried very, very hard to get back into a position of power. I'm significantly more social than I was, and the panic attacks have been subdued, but I can still feel the weight of the monster pressing down upon me.

So what the hell is my problem? I've been asking myself this the entire time, and any real answer I come up with just sounds too selfish or self loathing. I hate, HATE this job. Yes, but most people hate their jobs, some don't have any at all, and didn't I desperately want to get out of The TG? I'm so incredibly broke. But, again, some people literally have no money at all, and the fact that I am in the position I am is no ones fault but my own. I'm 26 and not even remotely close to accomplishing anything I thought I would have by this age. Which, yet again, is no ones fault but my own. Life is meaningless, there is no greater purpose, and we are forced to live lives we hate because society tells us so. Well now that's a little dramatic, and there's really nothing I can do about that other than just dealing with it...

But even though I know I'm being dramatic and self loathing, and that I can't stand to be around myself when I get like this, and all I want to do is to just shut the hell up and get over it.... I'm having a really hard time shaking this state of mind. I have a lot of good things in my life, and despite the negativity that consumes me, I'm still able to see and appreciate that. I'm just sick of always ending up in this same dark place, weighted down by the same blanket of lead, and always having to fight to get myself to be a normal, productive member of society. I want to badly to just BE that person, I just want my life to be easy... But nothing ever is. So the fight will inevitably be continued... possibly forever... and I just need to get used to that before I completely lose myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ironic that I am reading this today. Today is the day that I am turning my life around. I don't say that with complete certainty, just my honest to god belief.

I have felt terrible lately. I feel completly uninspired, due to an uninspired life. I'm 23, I went through school for 4 yrs, and then realized that I disliked my major. Not only that, but I don't know what I want to do AT ALL. This leads to a lack of motovation, and then to self pity ,loathing, and neglect. I also feel like I am frequently fighting it.

Today I feel like Frodo approaching Mordor, I know that i'm in for alot of unknown pain and agony in the near future, but the reward will be something of true beauty.

We don't all know what we are getting ourselves into. Know that you are doing it all because you are worth it, and know that it will get better, it really will. Go forth and conquer!