What is love? How can one who has claimed to have been in love, who feels love, ask this question? Even after all this time, I still have to question this stupid word. How can four little letters spark so many different emotions? How can four little letters control one's entire life?
I went through and read the top 100 love quotes. My favorites have to be these:
18. "I love you, not only for what you are, But for what I am when I am with you."
48. "Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition."
53. "Love is friendship set on fire."
64. "Love is something eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence."
--Vincent van Gogh
69. "From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
70. "The most wonderful of all things in life is the discovery of another human being with whom one's relationship has a growing depth, beauty and joy as the years increase. This inner progressiveness of love between two human beings is a most marvelous thing; it cannot be found by looking for it or by passionately wishing for it. It is a sort of divine accident, and the most wonderful of all things in life."
--Sir Hugh Walpole
71. "Love means to commit oneself without guarantee, to give oneself completely in the hope that our love will produce love in the loved person. Love is an act of faith, and whoever is of little faith is also of little love."
72. "You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."
What is love to me? Well, it has changed so many times over the years. Until recently, I only believed love could come over time. Though now, sometimes, if it's the right person, I think love can flourish in almost no time at all. Love is a feeling. Love is something that can never be explained or defined. It's something different for everyone. For me, love is so many different things all thrown into one insane emotion. It's feeling butterflies every time you see, think, touch, smell, talk about this person. It's not being afraid to be who you are, totally uncensored. It's wanting to spend every moment with this person, not needing to. It's missing them the second they are out of arms reach. It's being able to sit there in total silence, yet feel the happiest you've ever felt, just knowing they are there beside you. Love is being able to fight then forgive. True love cannot be sought after, it comes when you least expect it, sometimes when you think all hope is lost. You cannot force yourself to love, because then it is not real. Love should just come naturally.
Love is almost like religion, no one definition is really the right one. It's is something you define for yourself. Only you really know how you feel. Some think they will never love, some never wanted to (myself included), and who can blame them? For such a beautiful emotion, it has to be one of the hardest to live through. Love isn't perfect, it's hard, it's compromise, but I truly believe that if it's real the hard times will fall far short of the good. If it's real, then no matter how ugly things seems to get, with out fail, it will transform into something beautiful again.
We all fear and want love. We all hate it when we don't have it. It's one of the few things that can bring you the most happiness you've ever felt, and the deepest pain. But it's definitely something I never want to live with out.