05 September, 2008

Dictator

Have you ever sat back and thought about how much music rules the world? How, for some people, it totally dictates who you are as a person. What you wear, the things you say, the way you think, how you look at the world. It's everything.

Music helps with emotions, either making them come or taking them away. It helps with seeing the true beauty in the world. Could you imagine watching a movie with out music? Seeing a commercial? We are programmed as human beings to be sensitive to music, it's supposed to make us feel something. So I think it's just unnatural to not let yourself be ruled by music.

Unfortunately, music does become the scapegoat for things it shouldn't. Like, when Marilyn Manson was blamed for Columbine. Yes, they listened to his music, yes they probably dressed the way they did because of the music, but did he put that gun in their hands? No. Did he pull the trigger? No. You know who's fault it was? The parents, teachers and friends who ignored the warning signs, NOT the music. I bet when they were listening to his music they were comforted, maybe just for one second.

My hope, no, my DREAM for my own music (whether with Acrida or my own solo stuff) is to inspire people. When they hear my lyrics I want them to say, "Yes, I've felt this way. I can't believe someone else did too..." or even hear the more encouraging lyrics and have that inspire them to something great, to make something of themselves. I want to see my words posted on livejournals, myspace's, facebooks, notebooks, walls. I want to see people singing along with me, crying, laughing, smiling... really feeling the impact of my words. That is my ultimate goal. I want to leave my mark on the musical world, and make an impact on someone. Even if I can inspire ONE person with my words I can seriously die happy. Someday, I'm hoping this will come true, and I'm doing everything in my power to make it happen.

No comments: