05 January, 2011

Dead.

Day 2 - Your thoughts on death.

Well, I can break this down into two different explanations, what I would like death to be and what I actually think happens. I'll start with the less depressing one...

Obviously, if you've been reading my blog or you know me, you know I'm not religious. So I don't believe in heaven or hell. I don't believe in a particular God, but what I do believe in is energy. We are all full of it. When someone talks about souls, this is what I picture. This energy we all have has to go somewhere. When our body dies it doesn't mean our soul does so I think one of two things happen: It either is absorbed into the universe, which in turn creates a ghost or it finds a new host body, which would be reincarnation. I believe most of us are reincarnated. I also think that you can tell an "old soul" from a "new soul." Those of us who have been told we are "wise for our age," the more mature ones, we're "old souls." People who are more childlike, more wild, they are "new souls." My family also toys with the idea of reincarnation. They've told me on a few occasions they believe I'm the reincarnation of my mom's best friend who died at a young age, and they've told my maternal male cousin that he may be the reincarnation of our great grandfather. Though like me, they aren't completely serious about it. It's fun to think about, and you hope it's true, but in the end we all know what will probably end up happening...

... You just die. That's it. There is no second life. There is no heaven. You just die. No one wants to believe this because it's kind of terrifying and depressing to think, but it is a possibility. This is why it's extremely important to never, ever waste a second of your life. We only get once chance to live this particular life, and whether you just die or you're reincarnated, this is your only chance to live as the current person you are right now.

I'm terrified of dying, especially right now. I'm not ready, there's still too much to do and see. I'm especially terrified that this more depressing explanation of death is the right one. I think human's natural fear of death is the reason why the story of God was created. We needed something to look forward to when we die, something to help us cope. The idea that when you die there's this wonderful paradise and you'll be able to see all your loved one again, that's a wonderful idea. I'd love to be a part of that. I do hope I'm wrong, but I always keep the depressing idea of death in the back of my mind. It's just a little reminder to myself to not waste this life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're the only person who has a blog that I actually read fairly regularly...or at all really lol

JUSTIN

Unknown said...

Great entry.
And definitely great idealism in theories. I think you hit the nail on the head, really, cause whatever is right or wrong, there's still the issue that you only have THIS life once so it's best to live out every second of it as much as possible. I mean who knows? What if God does really exist, and the spirit...but when you die, you're spirit doesn't hold what made you in your life You? what if you've forgotten all that you are in death?